Saturday, March 28, 2015

Some Really Good News


    Hey ya'll! Here is a Sunday School lesson I taught about a month or two ago.
This lesson is about God's ultimate plan for changing the world: SALVATION.
 Our text is Luke 14:15-24 and Revelation 3:20. 
      ( Prior to the lesson presentation I will have used a illustration where I offered someone a gift and they refused it.)
      In the Bible, there is a story about some people who refused  something wonderful. They refused the invitation to a great party. Many people were invited, but some did not come. Here is our story:
      When one of those who reclined at table with him heard these things, he said to him, “Blessed is everyone who will eat bread in the kingdom of God!” 16 But he said to him, “A man once gave a great banquet and invited many. 17 And at the time for the banquet he sent his servant[a] to say to those who had been invited, ‘Come, for everything is now ready.’ 18 But they all alike began to make excuses. The first said to him, ‘I have bought a field, and I must go out and see it. Please have me excused.’ 19 And another said, ‘I have bought five yoke of oxen, and I go to examine them. Please have me excused.’ 20 And another said, ‘I have married a wife, and therefore I cannot come.’ 21 So the servant came and reported these things to his master. Then the master of the house became angry and said to his servant, ‘Go out quickly to the streets and lanes of the city, and bring in the poor and crippled and blind and lame.’ 22 And the servant said, ‘Sir, what you commanded has been done, and still there is room.’ 23 And the master said to the servant, ‘Go out to the highways and hedges and compel people to come in, that my house may be filled. 24 For I tell you,[b] none of those men who were invited shall taste my banquet."
     This story is not an actual happening, but Jesus told this story to make a very real point. There is a very special invitation waiting for every one of us. Around 2 thousand years ago, an amazing man was condemned to an agonizing death. You all know the story, how Jesus was betrayed by His friend, condemned by the very people He came to save, and  crucified on a rough cross, made from a tree He created. But this is not the end of this story. Three days later, He rose victorius over death. Now He is acended to His Father's side. 
     In this story from Luke, we see how foolish people can be. Imagine being offered a chance to go to an amazing banquet, but turning the invitation down. That is crazy, right? Many people really do turn down an invitation. God is calling you to come and rest. Will you accept?

No comments:

Post a Comment